Today I paid off my smallest Navient student loan (private loan). It was originally $2,130.00 in 2007 and had ballooned up to almost $3,000. This will free up additional money to tackle the next one-SNOWBALL METHOD.
You can do it too. I started with $187,000, but I’m taking it piece by piece. Get started today.
How to start?
- Budget. I use www.everydollar.com . (Dave Ramsey tool) Super easy and fun to use. I recommend it to everyone I know.
- Organize your debts. How much do you owe and to who? Seek out the information and track it.
- Pick up a side job. It doesn’t matter what you do. I work at a gas station part time. Just start doing something.
- Start attacking the smallest debt. Snowball method.
- Stop wasting money. This goes right along with budgeting. There’s a million ways to do this (cancel cable, new cell phone provider, new car insurance, sell stuff, stop buying coffee every day, stop buying expensive groceries and get generic stuff, pack your lunch at work, stop going out and wasting money on booze, cancel your gym membership, stop going out to eat all the time).
Be patient. I’m only now starting to gain real traction on my debt. You will too if you start taking these steps. Hang in there and keep swinging.